Do you like to read and/or write: mysteries, fantasy, science-fiction, romance, children’s, young adult (YA) or any combination of these? Genre is what we call those types of stories and novels, and if you say “YES!” then this Blog Tour is for YOU! Visit, read, comment, LIKE, share, reblog!
My “COMFORT” post appears today, on Sept. 27, so visit other sites, below, also!
THE COMFORT THAT COMES FROM WRITING AND READING
UTOPIAN SPECULATIVE FICTION
by Sally Ember, Ed.D., author of The Spanners Series ebooks, blogger and host of CHANGES, almost-weekly Google + Hangout On Air (HOA)
When I’m discouraged, disheartened, heartbroken, experiencing achingly painful unrequited love, unemployed, displaced, uprooted, tired, in physical pain, lonely, confused, disempowered and in despair about the state of world affairs, our climate and so much more, what do I do? I write my way out of this mess into my imagined (and actual, according to multiverse theories) utopian near-futures in The Spanners Series ebooks (full-length novels) and short stories.
Why be “here” when I can be in a better “there”?
Some of the themes and problems I “tackle” and “solve” or at least improve via my plotting in The Spanners Series via extraordinary applications of science, intervention of the paranormal, including the newly or not-yet invented and/or the embellished, are:
- homophobia/heterosexism and gender biases due to intolerance and ignorance of actual diversity in sexual orientation and gender identities
- violence, depression, and anti-social tendencies caused/fueled by excesses of testosterone and other imbalances in body/brain chemistry
- species-ism and the inability of humans to communicate well with and respect other species (on Earth and elsewhere)
- habits of thinking that embed humans in linearity, singularity and other mistakes due to misunderstandings of physics and/or lack of knowledge of simultaneous time and the multiverse
- motion/travel sickness and altitude sickness
- political corruption and inappropriate, sociopathic leaders in positions of power and authority
- greed and unequal distributions of all finite and necessary resources
- unequal access to education, health care, housing, training and opportunities
- inability to recognize and honor multiple forms of intelligence, talent and usefulness among individuals of many species, especially humans
- intolerance and hatred due to limited or incorrect understanding of facts (of origins, science, truth) and lack of acceptance of differences in beliefs and values that inspires violent attempts to stay entrenched despite evidence to the contrary
- fear-based decision-making and false narrowing of options due to willful or accidental ignorance of choices
and even more.
It is SO MUCH FUN as well as comforting to write my way out of difficulties we face into better circumstances, situations and experiences.
Or, if I’m not in the mood to write, then I go searching for others’ “solutions.” I need to read some stories with a “happy ending” or immerse myself in other uplifting genre or humorous modern fiction to COMFORT my spirit during these awful times. Fiction’s positive possibilities are endless: the love is sublime, the heroes and “good” guys/women prevail, the “bad” guys/women are caught/stopped. Aaahh.
image from: http://hopelovehappyendings.blogspot.com
I rely on getting to the beneficial outcomes: all is made right by the last page (or as right as it can be). I sigh with contentment, relief, happiness as I read/write.
What about you? What in your writing and reading comforts YOU? What do you look for in genre fiction to soothe your spirit?
Leave comments and suggestions here, please! And, don’t forget to visit and comment on the other sites’ posts in this blog hop tour! Thanks!
Goodreads’ Genre-Specific Review Group’s Fall 2014 Blog Hop Tour: “COMFORT” is this year’s theme.
TOUR DATES and SITES
(Posts are still LIVE or available in archives on and after the listed date, so visit any time!)
September 23 – http://www.elainepcantrell.blogspot.com
September 25 – http://rjcrayton.com/blog
September 26 – http://www.susandayauthor.com