The Lies Embedded in MAGA (“Make America Great Again”): America Was Never Great for Everyone
image from https://andelino.wordpress.com/2016/06/08/america-was-never-great/
Please, could anyone tell me: when was America (the United States of America) “great,” and for whom?
This country’s roots are in repeated and ongoing genocidal elimination, unfair and homicidal immigration policies, stealing children from parents who are powerless to prevent these thefts, and forced involuntary incarceration of those in many groups:
—the indigenous peoples who already occupied these territories
—the Africans stolen from their home countries, imported like material goods, to be slaves and servants
—the poor and homeless people and orphans
—the disabled people, especially those with mental disabilities
—the Japanese who lived in the USA during World War II.
image from http://Historyplex.com
This country has a long and checkered history of unfairly treating women, those who do not own property (even males), anyone without sufficient financial and other resources via a prejudicial criminal justice system.
image from http://Vox.com
People from all backgrounds suffer (but not equally) in the USA by:
- being excluded from voting by various means;
- not being paid a “living wage”;
- not having fair and equal opportunities for education;
- not having sufficient shelter;
- not having paid work available;
- not having access to nutritious, sufficient food;
- not being able to pursue their passions and dreams due to insufficient resources, advantages, connections and other unequally distributed privileges;
- having more people, especially children, living in poverty than in many third-world nations;
image from http://FollowTheMoney.com
- not having access to adequate or any health care (preventive or treatment-focused);
- failing to prevent or treat addictions of all types, with rising numbers of opioid addicts;
- not being treated fairly within our policing and justice system, to the point of premature death and lengthy incarcerations for minor infractions, and having far too many wrongful convictions;
- not having access to affordable housing;
- being forced to drink, wash with and use polluted water and breathe polluted air;
- becoming ill and dying—with little or no recourse or legal protection, once it is known to be needed—from industrial and military pollution of land, water and air;
image from https://environmentalstudiesblog.wordpress.com/tag/environmental-racism/
- having pensions, life savings, much or all personal wealth put at risk or eliminated by the still-unpunished and insufficiently regulated financial entities;
- being at risk because of the USA’s very high rates of infant and maternal mortality;
- being underserved veterans, with very high rates of suicide;
- not having access to abortions;
- being lied to about the “need” for USA’s involvement and not keeping promises made for those who enlist, and sometimes conscripted individuals into almost constant wars, causing many to lose loved ones, their own lives, their limbs, to incur brain damage and psychological trauma, for no apparent purpose except to enrich those who profit from military actions;
- being lied to, misled, mistreated, abused, exploited, harassed and/or disrespected by almost every major and minor politician, business owner/leader, employer/manager;
- being targeted unduly by those with authority and/or power in all types of businesses, institutions and police forces/sheriff’s departments
“If we lie to the government, it’s a felony. If the government lies to us, it’s politics.” —Bill Murray
So, please: at what point in the history or current configuration of this country was it “great” for EVERYONE?
You must be logged in to post a comment.