“Man with 25 kids with 15 different women refuses to pay child support” accuses the New York Daily News‘ headline last week. http://goo.gl/9ufQGT
In this story are pathetic vignettes from two or more of this man’s sexual partners who became pregnant with and claimed to have had children with him, all the while ignorant of his other …. 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 children….? Even though this man’s problems with not paying child support had made him Tennessee’s statewide largest “deadbeat dad” in 2012, he still found willing partners and impregnated at least three more women since that public designation.
This scofflaw was known for “driving flashy cars and throwing cash around,” since he apparently owns several nightclubs, then “dressing in rags and claiming poverty” when brought in front of judges whose prosecuting attorneys are apparently too incompetent to do proper research on this man’s net worth.
All I can think about are these 25 children, probably growing up without sufficient resources, continuing the downward cycle, ad infinitum. Multiplied by thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions world-wide, imagine all these children inadequately provided for, however that occurs.
image from http://reason.com
My conclusions and recommendations:
- We humans are unable to sustain this system successfully. We will not survive as a species.
- We apparently are too stupid, incompetent, ignorant, selfish, misguided, unlucky and/or unable to make intelligent choices and raise children with sufficient support.
- We as a species must make it mandatory for ALL humans to contribute to the well-being and support of ALL minors.
image from http://jokeallucan.blogspot.com
- Forget going after individual bio parents, grandparents, foster parents or adoptive parents who have reneged on their parenting duties and/or financial responsibilities.
- Stop trying to collect “child support” from the uncollectible.
- Admit that it’s hopeless: we can’t instill parenting skills or knowledge via “parent education” into the addicted, severely mentally disabled, recalcitrant, unwilling or arrogant.
- Stop relegating youth to the “luck of the draw” for the parenting lottery.
- End these philosophies that govern current legal and cultural practices: “Oh, your mom is a meth addict? Too bad.” “Oh, your dad is in prison? Tough break.” “Oh, your parents are dead? Oh, well.” “Oh, your parents are mentally ill? We’ll put you in foster care.”
We as humans must figure out a way to reproduce more responsibly AND to raise and educate children more fairly and competently.
In addition, we have to make it impossible for any child to go without basic amenities, food, clothing, education, nurturing and appropriate discipline and structure due to the deficiencies of their birth circumstances.
No government should be allowed to continue to be in power, even to exist, which does not ensure that all young people are well-fed, clothed, housed and educated.
If we continue to assign children to their “fates” based on their bio parents and other environmental circumstances, the caste- and class-based failure we call “society” will continue to populate (privatized, for-profit) prisons with inmates. We will continue sending addicts to rehabilitation centers, keeping them stocked with recurring “patients” that fill the coffers of insurance companies but cure almost no one.
What happens when millions go without sufficient food, medicine or clothing? Earth produces hundreds of millions, probably billions by the end of 2025, with bellies filled mostly with rage.
What fuels terrorism and crime? Dissatisfaction and alienation.
What creates affiliation to community? Fairness and caring.
It costs almost eight times as much to imprison an individual as it does to educate him/her all the way through high school.
image from http://www.safeandjust.org
You do the math.
Let the corralling of the incapable into parenting end now.
The “nuclear” family is, by and large, unsustainable, a failure, with circumstances getting worse for children every decade.
Model childraising on the Kibbutzim, the collective childraising communities in Israel.
- Put competent, caring, educated, healthy, trained and willing adults in charge of children.
- Allow all minors to have contact with any safe adults, but not solely to rely on their bio or legal guardians/parents for their upbringing.
image from http://www.judaica-hamsa-jewish-star-symbols-and-meanings.com
Let’s level the “playing field” for all young people. Give them all truly equal opportunities.
Comments/questions? Movements? Ideas?
Anyone already have a charity or nonprofit devoted to supporting ALL children?
Tell me about it. I might be able to help start, organize, or publicize these efforts.
SOMETHING major has got to change. For the children. For the species.
You must be logged in to post a comment.